Saturday, January 26, 2013

Vegan Potato Salad


Yesterday, Malissa was suddenly craving potato salad...in the middle of January...(no she's not pregnant).  Because of this, we went on a spontaneous quest to create our own vegan potato salad recipe!  I must point out two things for this post: First, I am not a spontaneous person, and second, I have always hated potato salad!  Upon completion, I reluctantly tasted our impromptu concoction.  You can probably guess what comes next or this post wouldn't exist...I LOVED it!!  It was so delicious I couldn't stop eating it (in fact, Malissa and I immediately ate the entire bowl!)  I was amazed that our spontaneity paid off with such a successful summer side (even if it was made when it was 12 degrees outside).

Vegan Potato Salad

4 Potatoes (peeling them is optional)
1/3 Block tofu, *crumbled
1 Cup diced Dill pickles
3-4 Tablespoons Vegenaise (I prefer the grapeseed version.  Malissa likes original. Either can be found in the health food section of most grocery stores)
2 Tablespoons Mustard
1-2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
1/2-1 Tablespoon Dill
1-2 teaspoons Chives
Salt/Pepper to taste
1 teaspoon organic seasoning salt (This one is sold at Cosco and is great)
dash of onion powder, celery salt, and paprika (optional)

Place potatoes in pan and fill with water so the potatoes are completely submerged.  Boil 20 minutes or until soft (how soft you make them is your personal preference).  Remove from water, chop into cubes and place in serving bowl with all other ingredients.  Mix well.  Serve warm or chilled.

*To crumble tofu simply drain all the water out of the package, wrap the block of tofu in a towel and lay a book or something heavy on top of it for a couple minutes to remove the excess water.  Then crumble the tofu in your hands as you add it to the bowl (it should have the consistency of scrambled eggs as you crumble it in your hands).

With the 2/3 block of tofu you have left, you can add it to your Vegan "Ham" Fried Rice!

3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Will need to add a few ingredients to my pantry before trying it, but I'll post a review when I do. The links showing photos of those ingredients is very helpful, btw. The finished dish shows red potatoes; is that what you used? I most always use red potatoes (but not Klondike Rose) because of their superior flavor and texture.
    Also, what type of tofu did you use? Silken? Or Momen? I saw the link showing extra firm. Thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, I definitely agree with you! Red potatoes are the best to use! Russet or other variations will work as well, but I use red as often as possible! For this, we used regular firm tofu to crumble, we worried about silken being too soft to provide the texture we wanted. If you find anything else that can improve it, please let us know! We love to learn new things! I'm excited to hear your review!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the amazing recipes. They are very easy to read and follow

    ReplyDelete